Call for SAIP Weekly Webinar Topics - 2022
The 2022 series of SAIP Webinars will start in February 2022. The SAIP is therefore inviting interested stakeholders and members of the physics community to present 1-hour talks at this year webinar series. This year the SAIP will commemorate two important events
- The International Year of Basic Science for Sustainable Development (IYBSSD) – thus the SAIP Seminar Series presents a platform to discuss and communicate the immense potential benefits to be derived from physics education and research, and how physics in South Africa is significantly contributing to addressing socio-economic challenges and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). SAIP is inviting you to share your work on the use of physics and/or current research that aims to address energy, clean environment, agriculture, climate change, health, water, industrialisation, smart materials, big data, education among many others areas.
- 100 Years of Physics in Africa- “Past, Present and the Future” - This initiative is prompted by the 100th year of the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics (IUPAP). http://www.saip.org.za/100YearsOfPhysics/ The SAIP is inviting you to share your story and desired future for Physics in Africa during the weekly webinars. There are many beautiful and inspiring stories on how Physics is thriving, changing lives, bringing development and impacting different parts of Africa, even producing world-class research and Physicists with bare minimum resources, but the World never gets to hear of these incredible success stories from Africa.
The Webinar Series aims to amplify your world of physics by tunneling targeted cutting-edge topical conversations and entangle physics with society. Every Friday afternoon, between 13h00 and 14h00, physicists and science stakeholders will have an opportunity to present current information and ongoing research on topical issues affecting our daily lives and the scientific enterprise to a wide range of interested parties.
Presenters - Prominent members of our community can be proposed and approached to deliver seminars on topical issues related to physics, science, education, research and socio-economic development through non-specialist talks, specialist talks, panel discussions, among others. Potential presenters can also offer to make presentations on relevant topics.
Participation - The SAIP Webinars are free and open to all! Get your creativity positively charged, harness the thoughts and conversations of colleagues, top researchers and prominent scientists of our generation. Seminars will take place via Zoom and topics will be circulated a week in advance on the SAIP website, through the membership mailing list and Facebook
The SAIP seminar series is therefore inviting potential speakers from Physics/Science Stakeholder both in South Africa and Internationally to submit topics in any of the categories below. The topics can be presented as talks or a panel discussion.
a) Topical issues in Physics and Socio-Economic Development
- e.g. COVID19, State of Science Education, Gender, Transformation, Inclusivity and Equality in Physics
- Research highlights by researchers or research group
- Promoting research groups and facility capabilities
- Opportunities for students in different areas
- Industry and Commerce - work with physics and industry needs
- Governments and Large Research Facilities - opportunities, programmes and capabilities
- National and International Physics Research and Development Collaboration and Partnership Opportunities